Alice Grist is the author of two books. The High Heeled Guide to Enlightenment, her first book , charts Alice’s journey from party girl to sassy spiritual woman. Alice’s second book is the soon to be published The High Heeled Guide to Spiritual Living (July 2011). THHGTSL is a guide to living spiritually through the ups and downs of modern existence. Both books are published by O-Books / Soul Rocks and have attracted much reader and reviewer acclaim.

Alice Grist is the Publisher of new John Hunt Publishing Imprint - Soul Rocks Books. Soul Rocks publishes soulful and spiritual books with sass and edge.

Alice is the founder and managing editor of Soul-Cafe.net, an online network and magazine for soulful and spiritual living. On Soul-Cafe Alice regularly interviews and features the spiritual advice and writings of experts and authors. Soul-Cafe provides a safe, happy space for all spiritual seekers.

Alice is a frequent contributor to many magazines and online lifestyle sites, often writing about spirituality in her own quirky, accessible and fierce style. She writes a regular column - Alice's World of Woo for Haunted Magazine. She is a frequent guest on many TV and radio shows. Alice can also be found on You Tube posting under Alicebiddie...

Alice is also available for Tarot Readings and Reiki Healing. Alice teaches Meditation at local gyms in the Leicester area.

Saturday 22 October 2011

Bloodthirsty Anyone...?

Oh my gosh, has the world gone mad? No I think it probably always has been... So Colonel Gaddafi got killed, but do we really need to celebrate it across the front pages of our 'civilised' publications? Do we need to shout out about revenge. Do we need to see the bloody, brutal details? Doesn't this reak of hypocrisy? Doesn't our societies tolerance and celebration of this bloodthirsty, vengeful act send a shiver up your spine?

And if you doubt the hypocrisy here consider this. Yesterday I heard that Britney Spears had been lambasted by politicians for being insensitive. Her new music video, shot in London, features her holding a gun. Her insensitivity is apparently related to the London Riots. And yet, it's OK to parade images of a shot, bloodied up dead man all over the country. So one day we have alleged gun related 'insensitivity' and then the next day the sordid, vivid details of what guns can do is deemed appropriate for front pages and indeed is celebrated. Something ain't quite right here...

In THHGTSL I talk about Dumb Culture. I think that this little chapter of our history could well fit into that section of my book. I can't help feeling like I'm in the middle ages watching an execution. The thing is, back then executions were entertainment, street theatre. And as I pass blood soaked copies of red top newspapers outside newsagents, at the height for any passing toddler to see, I can't help think that we have again gotten sucked again into a carnival of cruelty.

Irrespective of what Mr Gaddafi may be guilty of there is no need to sensationalize, publicise and hype up his brutal death. Well there is a need, a need to fuel the coffers of the media. And that my lovely Soulies is Dumb Culture in action.

Karma has her way with us all in her own time. I have faith and first hand experience in that. I'm not sure if Gaddafi got his Karma, but I do know that revenge is an act of anger and hate. And because of all that anger and hate I am sure that Karma is being dosed out by the barrel today.

We live in a partially sucky world. Other parts of this life are miraculous, beautiful, astonishing. I will choose to take a think about them next time I see glorified murdered corpses littering the covers of our established and respected broadsheets. I will not join the goon squad baying for blood and revenge. News is news, I don't want to live in denial, but what I saw today was nasty.

That's my outrage done and dusted. I don't have an answer to this, it's too big a thing to deal with on a Friday evening. Peace and love are my only 'go to' answer, and somehow, right now, I think they are far from may people's hearts. I will hold them tight in mine, as I am sure you will in yours. And that, I hope, will be enough for now.

Beyond that I will practice some forgiveness, Goddess bless everyone involved victims, perpetrators and journalists just trying to make a dollar. Goddess bless us all.

No comments: